So I’ve moved!
I was living near my University on the east coast for the two years it took to complete the coursework that was required/interesting, and now I’m back on the west coast to complete the rest of the requirements. If you have any questions about what that’s like, or how and why I decided to do this, leave a comment or send me an email! What I’ll try to do here is be honest about how it goes
So far, it’s worth noting that there was a much larger than I predicted disruption in my productivity (and equanimity!) When I moved to grad school, it took very little time. Sure, I’d accumulated some more stuff, but I figured that it’d take, what? a week to move? Hm. Yeah.
Here are the things I expected:
- Pack, after work for the day was done
- take a day off to sort out things with the movers
- take a day to travel
- plan a day to recover
- take a day (at some point) to coordinate with movers on the other end
- unpack, after work for the day was done
Here’s what I didn’t expect:
- OH MY GOSH packing takes SO MUCH TIME. I cried more than I’d like to admit.
- arrange with various people on LetGo/OfferUp/Craigslist to unload various things that aren’t worth paying to move.
- making decisions about what to keep, trash, sell, donate and what things to do next is mentally exhausting. I was all but totally useless during the packing phase.
- Travel was weirdly the easiest bit
- Unpacking is easy, but you have to have somewhere to unpack *to*
- Coordinating with the plumber, buying a dryer, selecting and setting up shelving, desks, storage… takes so much time
So realistically, I am still moving even though I arrived almost a month ago. Thankfully, I’m living close to a 24 hour coffee shop and a work buddy, so I’ve managed to arrange a semblance of a work life. Between moving chaos and now working far from my lab, without a dedicated, on-campus work space, I’m convinced I need to make my new workflow plan thoughtfully. More on that, and how it’s developed, soon!
And, as of today, I have a proper desk! I think I’ll dedicate an entire post to this desk. It’s really amazing.
Moving is expensive (!!) but it is also exhausting, and time-consuming. However, almost every case, I wish I would have spent a little more money to make things easier and faster. (And if you’re a grad student, you know about how much I make– it’s really that stressful.)
The primary take-aways from this post are:
- it may be possible to move after your coursework is done.
- think and plan carefully about how you do this!
Good luck out there!